Purpose of role:
Many of the people who use our services have had challenging personal experiences. They present with wide range of mental health issues that
are unique to them and the situations that they are in.
As a Student or Unpaid Counsellor at About You UK you will be able to offer therapy to people using our services. You will be enabling
people to identify and explore their concerns and assist and empower them to decide upon a course of action using the modality that you are training in or if qualified that you specialise
You will be expected to work within frameworks that promote therapeutic safety and in accordance with BACP guidelines that the charity has
national registration for. We as a charity ensure that all that operate within the charity and its objectives are covered with insurance and liability.
- providing professional and confidential counselling to clients presenting with various and varied issues.
- developing and promoting a positive relationship with the client with whom they are selected for you.
- treat all colleagues and service users with respect.
- Offering a non-judgmental in approach
- Manage appropriate professional boundaries in the therapeutic relationship.
- Be willing and able to work effectively within a time-limited framework.
- Refer clients to other treatment modalities as appropriate following discussion with your supervisors and centre supervisors.
- Undertake client administration work and record keeping within agreed timescales and in compliance with the organisation’s requirements (both paper and electronic)
for quality monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- To attend clinical supervision and operational supervision inline with the BACP regulations and guidelines
- To source and fund own external clinical supervision (Student Placements)
- To represent the service in a professional manner at all times at all times acting on behalf of About You UK, as their clients
- To follow policies and procedures regarding safeguarding children and adults at risk and with all relevant legislation and professional codes of practice and report
and document concerns to the safeguarding officers at your centre or head office.
- Be committed to take part in any CPD that is relevant to your practice
- Take responsibility for own professional training and development and keep logs of attendance
- Keep up to date with new developments in the field of counselling
General terms of reference:
In carrying out the above duties the post holder will:
- Assist About You UK with its objectives in offering the best service to our clients.
- Perform your Student/Volunteering role to the best of your ability, securing assistance were
- Follow the About You UK policies including health and safety and equal opportunities, in relation to our
staff, volunteers and clients.
- Maintain the confidential information of About You UK and of our clients, adhering to About You UK
policies and procedures including GDPR regulations inline with the ICO registration requirements.
- To meet the time commitments and standards which have been mutually agreed and to give reasonable notice
so other arrangements can be made when this is not possible.
Education Knowledge and Experience:
- to have passed their fitness to practice module with certification of their lead tutor.
- to have undertaken a minimum of 10 personal therapy hours
- to be a member of, or in process of applying to join, the BACP, NCS or other relevant and reputable regulated membership bodies.
- to have an up-to-date DBS enhanced level with full disclosure and work with children and adults.
- Agree to commit to the agreed working days and hours so that clients can be allocated without prior agreement. to your agreed client level.
Unpaid qualified counsellors
- Unpaid counsellors will be expected to hold level 4 Counselling diploma (or above)
- To be a registered or accredited member of the BACP or other relevant and reputable regulated membership bodies
- Agree to commit to the agreed working days and hours so that clients can be allocated without prior agreement to your agreed client level.
- A commitment to attending regular clinical and additional operational supervision.
- A high level of verbal/written communication
- An empathic and friendly approach
- An interest in furthering counselling experience (if qualified) in other modalities if required, using therapeutic interventions and approaches.
- Understanding of the importance of boundaries
- Some experience in working with vulnerable people.
- Awareness of issues surrounding service users in need of support
If you would like to join About You UK please see the application process
Application – Student/Volunteer Counselling Placement
you for your interest in a placement with About You UK counselling Services
Notes about this
Please read these notes carefully along with the role description,
they will help you to provide us with all the information we need to consider your application.
Completing the application
All sections of the form must be completed for us to be able to
assess your application, if a section isn’t relevant, please put ‘N/A’ (not applicable). Please do not substitute, or cross reference information on this form. Also attach a CV for additional
If you are successful with your application you will be contacted
by email, phone or letter advising you of the next stage of the process. If you are not successful we will inform via email only.
Information required on
We require you to give us the details of at least 2 referees who
have known you for at least 2 years. The referees you specify need to be able to give their opinion as to your suitability for the role.
References will be requested automatically after a conditional
verbal offer has been accepted.
Please ensure that your contact details are correct as this will
prevent delays in the application process.
Please email your application form to Justin Tootill-Wales, CEO /
Trustee of About You UK, firstname.lastname@example.org if you are applying online please just submit and await confirmation.
If you are being invited for interview, you will be contacted with details of the date, time and venue for the
interview. You will be required bring along required documentation for your placement, which you will be notified of when we contact you.
All Counselling students/Volunteers within About You UK are
required to undergo a DBS check at enhanced level; all offers of a placement are subject to a satisfactory DBS check, we are able to process this for you at a fee of £75.00 per
Please contact Justin Tootill-Wales if you have any queries
regarding the application process. email@example.com